Should the University experience a power outage, it is important to remain calm.
- If building evacuation becomes necessary, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance if possible.
- If additional assistance is necessary, contact the University Police at 205-348-5454.
- Secure all vital equipment, records, experiments, and hazardous materials if safe to do so.
- Store all chemicals in their original or marked containers and fully open all fume hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is not adequate, evacuate the area until power is restored.
- Do not use candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- Unplug electrical equipment, including computers, and turn off light switches.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
- Call the University Police at 205-348-5454.
- Communicate with the trapped passengers; let them know that help has been summoned.
- Provide specific location information and number of individuals involved to the dispatcher.
- Stay near the passengers if safe to do so, until emergency responders are on-site and the elevator is identified.
- Trapped occupants should use the elevator phone to summon help. The phone connects directly to the University Police.